LP Smart Siding and James Hardie are two of the most popular siding materials on the market today. Both materials offer the same benefits when it comes to strength and durability, however, they both have their disadvantages that come with them. As a professional home improvement company that has been reinventing the home improvement industry and offering the highest quality products to our homeowners for over ten years. Here at DaBella, we strongly believe it is important to consider all the pros and cons of each material when deciding which one is best. We have analyzed several types of siding and found that James Hardie fiber cement siding as well as LP Smartside siding were some of the most popular because of their affordability and durable qualities they offer.
Why are James Hardie and LP The Most Popular Names in the Industry?
James Hardie and LP Smartside are two of the most popular siding materials on the market today due to their affordability, durability, and low maintenance requirements. James Hardie siding is a durable fiber cement siding that offers an attractive wood look while still being weather resistant and fire-resistant. LP Smartside siding is engineered wood siding that has been treated to resist warping, shrinking, and cracking.
James Hardie fiber cement products come with James Hardie ColorPlus technology that protects your sidings color and ultraviolet (UV) rays. Fiber cement siding is known for its long-term durability and is a great alternative to traditional wood siding.
LP Smartside siding offers a vast selection of colors and textures that can help homeowners create a look that is unique to their home. This siding is easy to clean, which makes it an excellent choice for those looking for low-maintenance siding. With its assortment of colors and textures, LP Smartside siding can give your home a stunning look without the hassle of extra maintenance.
How is Fiber Cement Siding Made?
Fiber cement siding is made by combining Portland cement, sand, and cellulose fibers to form a composite material that is then extruded into various shapes and sizes. The mix of materials makes this type of siding exceptionally durable and resistant to water and insects. The composite material is then formed into boards that are fixed to the exterior of your home with nails or screws. The siding is also treated with a coat of paint or stain to give it a beautiful finish.
How is LP Smartside Siding Made?
LP Smartside siding is made from a special type of engineered lumber that is treated with a resin-based preservative. The preservative helps protect the siding from water, insects, and rot. The unique combination of materials makes LP Smartside siding incredibly durable and resistant to weathering and changes in temperature. The siding is also treated with a coat of paint or stain to give it a beautiful finish, allowing homeowners to customize their home’s exterior with a variety of colors and textures.
James Hardie vs LP Smartside: Pros and Cons
When considering siding for your home, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of each material to determine which is best for you and your home.
James Hardie Fiber Cement Siding Pros:
- James Hardie’s fiber cement siding is known for its long-term durability and weather resistance to rain, winds up to 130 mph and hail.
- Fiber cement siding is also fire-resistant, meaning it will not catch fire even if exposed to hot temperatures.
- The ColorPlus technology that it comes with ensures that the siding’s color will not fade due to UV rays.
- Fiber cement siding comes in a wide range of colors and styles, allowing you to customize the exterior of your home to your taste and liking.
- Fiber cement siding also gives your home a wood-like texture without the hassle of wood maintenance.
- James Hardie’s fiber cement siding is also limited maintenance, requiring only a periodic cleaning to keep it looking like new.
- 30-year warranty on the product, giving homeowners peace of mind that their siding will last for years to come.
- Fiber cement siding is also five times thicker than vinyl.
- See more about the advantages of James Hardie Fiber Cement.
James Hardie Fiber Cement Siding Cons:
- The only downside to James Hardie fiber cement siding is that it is more expensive than other siding materials. However, it is often worth the extra cost due to its long-term durability and low-maintenance requirements.
- Long installation time compared to some other products. This is due to the weight of the Hardie boards.
LP Smartside Siding Pros:
- LP Smartside siding features their SmartGuard® technology which ensures a longer-lasting wood siding. This is because the engineered wood is more robust and weather-resistant than traditional wood siding.
- The engineered wood is composed of a combination of wood fiber, bonding agents, wax, and resins that is compressed to create a durable and robust material.
- SmartGuard® technology also offers multiple layers of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other harmful elements, ensuring your home’s siding will last longer.
- The nature of the siding carries some distinct advantages. For example, LP Smartside siding is lighter and easier to install than fiber cement siding, reportedly up to 22% faster to install, according to LP.
- Durability-wise, the engineered wood is also well-suited for a variety of climates.
- Enhanced by the patented manufacturing process which prevents the siding from being damaged by termites, giving you added peace of mind.
- In addition, the siding features a 50-year warranty against rotting, warping, and splitting.
LP Smartside Siding Cons:
- There are some things to consider when choosing LP SmartSide siding. Although the engineered wood is more durable than traditional wood siding, it can still warp and deteriorate over time.
- It is also important to note that fiber cement siding is more fire-resistant than LP SmartSide. Because of the organic matter in LP Smartside, it makes it very flammable.
- In addition, although LP SmartSide siding is lighter and easier to install, but it is not as customizable as fiber cement as it only comes in a limited number of colors and styles.
- Another thing to consider when choosing LP SmartSide siding is that the 50-year warranty is prorated after year six. This means that the coverage gradually decreases each year, dropping 2.2 percent annually through the end of the warranty period.
- Coating that is used to protect your siding is put on by the installation crew and not the manufacturer. This can lead to chipping and other issues down the road.
Why Siding & Choosing the Right Siding is Important for Your Home
The siding of your home serves as the first line of defense against the elements. It can help to protect the structural integrity of your home and prevent damage from water, insects, and other natural elements. It is also an important aesthetic element of your home, so it is important to choose a material that is both durable and attractive. While James Hardie fiber cement and LP Smartside siding offer homeowner benefits, you should consider the pros and cons of each material before deciding.
James Hardie vs LP Smartside: Which is the Best Siding for Your Home?
When deciding between LP Smartside siding and James Hardie fiber cement siding, it is important to consider your budget and your area’s climate. LP Smartside siding is generally less expensive than Hardie Board and is easier to install, but it is not as fire-resistant. On the other hand, Hardie Board is more expensive and heavier, but it is more durable, fire-resistant, as well as the ability to customize your new siding far more than LP Smartside siding. James Hardie fiber cement has gained enormous popularity across the United States for its minimal maintenance and long-lasting benefits. Therefore, homeowners should be sure to weigh the affordability, longevity, fire-resistance, and customization of their siding before deciding on a material.
Choose DaBella for Your Next James Hardie Siding Replacement Project!
Choosing the right siding for your home is a crucial decision, as it will impact the longevity, durability, and visual appeal of your home. Thankfully, there are experienced siding contractors such as DaBella available to help guide your decision and make sure you get the siding that is best for your home. This is especially important for those considering James Hardie fiber cement, as proper knowledge and installation experience are key to its success. With DaBella’s expert team of siding contractors, you can be sure that you are getting the best quality workmanship and materials when it comes to your siding project.
DaBella is the leading provider of James Hardie siding installation and replacement services. We use only the highest quality materials and have an experienced team of installers that can help make sure your project is done correctly and efficiently. We also offer a wide range of additional services such as gutter installation, window installation, roof replacements and bath & shower replacements that can help enhance your home’s curb appeal and comfortability in your home. Contact DaBella today at 844-DaBella to learn more about our products and services and how DaBella can transform your home into the dream home you have always wanted. With excellent customer service, quality workmanship and high-quality materials, you can trust DaBella to give you the home of your dreams. DaBella; where quality begins at home.